Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Broadcasting Across All Channels

My dad collects radios. Not every kind of radio, only the kind that he used to listen to as a kid. He has them lined up in the top shelves of the bookcases in the living room. There is the one from my great-grandparents' kitchen. A couple of others came from my grandparents' house. (At least, I think that is where they all came from.) My personal favorite is the one he listened to as a kid. It is small, about the size of a toaster oven, and brown with black knobs. His favorite programs included baseball games and Dick Tracy.

Communication is quite changed in such a short amount of time. I find the internet overwhelming. There is so much information out there to be had, and all with the click of a button. I can appreciate Bloglines as a tool for helping me filter the information to stuff that I really want to know about. I struggled a bit, at first, trying to figure out exactly which information I want to know! Initally I wanted to simply follow different blogs that I enjoy. Then I realized that there is the weather, NPR, community events, world news, movie information, book information, the list goes on and on. And suddenly, Blogline did not become a filter for me...I had subscribed to so much that there is no way I'll sort through it all. So what did I settle on? A couple blogs (my brother's being one), local news, the weather, and a book line.

Oh, and I have a feed on baseball scores, in honor of my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment